Great novels for English learners to read! #4 Animal Farm – George Orwell.
Animal Farm is a satirical allegory for Communist Russia. It tells the simple and tragic story of what happens when the oppressed farm animals rebel to get freedom from the farmer Mr. Jones. George Orwell’s writing style is very accessible for English learners.
George Orwell was famous for the clarity of his writing, in his 1946 essay Politics and the English Language he describes 5 Rules for writing. Here are the 5 rules:
1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
See more on our blog: Why Reading is Important for Language Learners